Cheers to our "talented" literature prize awardee. Your pain his gain !!!
EGY.COM - MAADI
Except for six diagonal avenues all of "old" Maadi's perpendicular streets were numbered. Originally, all but one of the name-bearing avenues were in honor of the British and Jewish founding directors of EDLICO (Egyptian Delta Land & Investment Company), which created the suburb of Maadi in 1906. The only exception was Maadi's main avenue which was named after King Fouad who ruled Egypt from 1917 to 1936. Previously it had simply been called Avenue Maadi
Re-named in 1956 after General Ahmed Orabi Pasha instigator of the 1882 revolt against the Khedive's men
MUSTAFA KAMEL STREET
Renamed in 1956 in honor of nationalist Mustafa Kamel Pasha (1874-1908) founder of Egypt's first Nationalist party in 1907 calling for the independence of Egypt from British domination and a constitutional government
PORT SAIID STREET
Renamed in 1956 in honor of the people of Port Saiid who defended their city against the Tripartite invasion (France, Britain and Israel) a.k.a. Suez War of 1956
Named after the capital of Syria
Maadi's longest avenue running all the way from the Nile river banks to Digla
NAHDA SQUARE (ROUNDABOUT)
Named after the nearby Maadi Sporting Club
SAD AL-AALI STREET
Named after the High Dam south of Aswan
WAHIB DOSS AVENUE
Named after senator-lawyer Wahib Doss Bey who lived at Greystone Manor fronting the street
The only square which retained its original name.
so named after financier Felix Menahem Suares a founding director of the National Bank of Egypt and of the Egyptian Delta Land & Investment Company (EDLICO) which created Maadi in 1906.
Could not find (March 2013) any name-plaque/sign for this particular square (Midan)!
Hadayek meaning gardens is a street that runs paralel to the Helwan railway line in the area of Maadi-Sakanat (Sakanat meaning barracks in view of the nearby army barracks that were once there).
Today, Maadi Gardens or Hadayek El Maadi is devoid of its original gardens and villas most of which were replaced by unsavoury apartment buildings.
The dual Canal street ran alongside both sides of the Eucalyptus-lined Khashaab Canal before it was filled and turned into a public park unique due to its century-old Eucalyptus trees. The Canal remained for several decades a reference point dividing Maadi into two sections: Canal West and Canal East. Originally an irrigation canal the Khashaab originated south ot Torah running through Maadi and Bassatine spilling out onto the agricutural fields in the Dar al-Salaam area. The fields disappeared along with the Canal in the 1970s.
two examples of street signs. The one nailed to a tree is a holdover of the 1950s with French used as a second language while the bottom sign is from the 1980s; English displaced its predecessor.
Queen Dina Street
So named after al-Sherifa Dina Abdelhamid the sometime Queen of Jordan who spent part of her childhood in her parent's villa fronting the street.